Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Name Game (Weeks 11-12)

I've always been a big name nerd. Growing up I would create lists in several of my journals of names I really wanted to name my future child. I went hunting through my journals but seeing as I don't have hours to blow digging through all of them (I've written in a journal since 2nd grade) I will list the names I found in only a couple of journals.
Girls                    Boys
Denae                 Pete
Starsle                Guy
Lucy                   Sebastian
Zophia               

Now that it is crunch time all those name went out the window and I am left nameless!
We know if it is a boy we would like to use some of the same letters from Mike's Dad's name Tommy Gerald. So that should be a starting point right? Wrong. There are a lot of names you can make with the letters GTOMMEARYLD.
For girls it was a little easier. We both really like these names:
Ruby
Magnolia
Margaux
Cora
Cora especially feels quite nice. I knew it sounded like a family name too so I called my Mom to confirm. Sure enough, my great grandmothers name is Cora. My mom told me that she is actually still alive in some part of Oklahoma. I asked what kind of a woman she was and found out she was pretty great. My mom said she made amazing minestrone soup and was full blooded Italian.
The next weekend I drove up to Oklahoma. Not to visit Cora but to tell my grandmother our exciting news. Boy was she excited! I told her right after I arrived around 11:30pm. She rushed into her bedroom and shook my Grandpa out of a dead sleep "Wayne! Wayne! guess what!? Brittany's pregnant!" I think he mumbled something about congratulations and went back to sleep. It made me feel so amazing that my grandma was as excited as I was. While I was there I asked more about Cora and the type of person she was. I was told that she taught my grandma how to bake and that she made the best homemade pasta and Italian breads and was absolutely amazing with children. My aunts told me that she was one of there favorite grandmothers. I felt pretty confident in the name after hearing all that.
Three days after my visit to Oklahoma, Cora passed away.
I supposedly had met her when I was an infant but don't ever remember meeting her. I guess now I will never have that opportunity. What a strange event of coincidence.




                 

2 comments:

  1. GTOMMEARYLD

    I love anagrams! I am sure you will find any of the following names derived from Tommy Gerald satisfactory for the young bean:

    Gear
    Lear
    Marty
    Gary
    Rome
    Lordy
    Gordy
    Gram
    Large
    Lemmy
    Mort
    Toga
    Earl
    Rod
    Ram
    Dre
    Dream
    Read
    Tad
    Gyro
    Earl
    Rad
    Ray
    Gray
    Lard
    Gleam
    Drat
    Gale
    Mema
    Marlo
    May
    Remmy
    Dot
    Dora
    Margot
    Roald
    Mare
    Matey
    Arm
    Early
    Lady
    Tammy
    Toe
    Emo
    Emma
    Gemma
    Edo
    Arlo
    Elmo
    Rayleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm votin' for Elmo! Haha! Britt your belly is so cute and I am so stoked for you! That's sad you didn't get to see Cora again before she passed on. She sounded amazing. I had no idea there was Italian blood in the Haskins family. How cool. I love your grandma, she's so great. You can always name your baby after they are born. I just couldn't think of any boy names and I was so convinced Isaac was a girl. Love you! If you need to talk to anyone who knows what it's like being pregnant, you just give me a call anytime.

    ReplyDelete