Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Journey Begins (Aug 2011)

On August 12th 2011 I peed on a stick.
I then covered the little window with a square of toilet paper and was prepared to stand there and stare at it for 3 minutes. With Mike by my side he said lets go into the other room and wait. It'll be easier.
It wasn't.
Longest 3 minutes of my life.
When it was time to reveal the special results I wasted no time in wisping the toilet paper away to reveal two solid lines.
Silence.
Then Mike and I hugged. We held each other and wept.
But they were absolute tears of joy.
Then came the shock "Oh shit! We're going to have a kid in just a few months!"
Then more crying because I didn't think my body knew how to get pregnant.

Here's a little back story to get you up to speed on this point.
On our 5 year wedding anniversary (July 2010) we decided to stop using protection and just "be careful". We were open to the idea of having a kid and thought we would see what would happen.
Nothing happened.
That January we decided to not be careful anymore and get this baby thing started already.
Nothing happened.
By that May I was starting to worry that something was broken with me. Every time my period came I would have this sinking feeling and have to cry it out. In July Mike caught me crying it out on the couch and decided to take matters into his own hands. He went out to the store and bought a basal thermometer, he downloaded a pink colored pregnancy app, and we began legitimately "trying".
A part of me felt like I would be forcing things if we did it this way but I was beginning to worry if I was even capable of being a mom so I was willing to give it a try.
Each morning before I even sat up in bed I would take my temperature and Mike would record it in his fancy phone app. I was worried too that this "project make a baby" would cause us to be having sex when neither of us wanted to just to make a baby. This was not the case at all. We did everything like normal. We did have more sex but it was never ever forced feeling.
Fast forward one month later and we were staring at the stick with two lines.
Full of anxiety and euphoria we immediately went out that night and bought the highest rated baby book and loaded up on prenatal vitamins.

No comments:

Post a Comment