Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Big Secret (3weeks-7weeks)

After we discovered our big, no, BIG news we wanted to stand on a mountain top and scream out the news so everyone could share in the excitement with us.
Instead I couldn't help but feel fearful of the high rates of miscarriages and I did not want to jinx anything.
We had decided to wait until after our first doctors appointment (8 weeks) before we told anyone. Just to make sure the baby was healthy and everything was normal.
Talk about torture!!
I am horrible at lying. Not that I was really lying but I definitely felt like I was having to deceive a lot of people.
Being a social drinker, I was a nervous wreck anytime we were out with friends and alcohol was involved. I tried to play it off that I was on a cleanse but I knew I could only pull that off for so long when I was still eating cheese and french fries.
I think the worst was when morning sickness (more like all day sickness for me) came rearing its ugly face. I began throwing up constantly almost every morning. I was a mess at work. If I walked past any air freshener, smelled cigarette smoke on someones clothes, smelled perfume, smelled a hot pocket, saw dirty dishes, thought of eggplant or basil, thought of a dirty toilet, heard someone snort, brush my teeth, or thought of that one time my friend made me smell his rotten tooth. I would gag. Big time gag.
When I was about 5 weeks along I was leaving work early. I told my boss I had a stomach bug and couldn't stop throwing up. He said "Are you on the baby train?" and I broke down and said "yes". He had just had his first kid a week before and luckily had some sympathy on my situation.
It was nice being able to come into work a little late and not have to explain myself, or work from home the occasional day that I couldn't get up from the couch.
I was not prepared for this kind of pregnancy.
I was wanting a pregnancy where I could still be active and eat nothing but fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
What I got was the constant desire to be laying down all the time. The only foods that I could stomach at this point were dry toast, instant mashed potatoes and...nope, that's pretty much it. This sucked.
So not only did I feel like poop all the time, I couldn't even tell the people around me why I was so sick!
Photo of me at 7 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment