Sunday, October 16, 2011

Hospital vs. Birthing Center (weeks 9-10)

Each morning I would wake up. Lay in bed for an additional 30 minutes debating on what I should eat. Absolutely nothing and I mean NOTHING sounded good. But I knew that once I ate something it was less likely that I would throw up.
Mike being the super hero that he is would make me breakfast almost every morning. Not only that but he would make sure that the dirty dishes in the sink were cleaned up because he knew that was one of my gag triggers.
He also learned quickly not to ask what I wanted for breakfast but to make me something tasteless and bland and I would probably be okay.
There was one morning I was walking down the stairs after finally dragging myself out of bed. I smelled breakfast being cooked and had to rush back up stairs to throw up. What must he have been cooking you ask? Cream of Wheat. Just Cream of Wheat.
I discovered that if I kept snacks at my desk at work and ate them throughout the day I could function just a little better. I couldn't help but feel like all I was doing all day was eating. Well, I would say it was more like force-feeding because everything sounded gross to eat.

Also around this time we were still debating on if we wanted to continue seeing my OBGYN and have the birth at the hospital or if we wanted to have the birth at a birthing center with midwives.
The decision was made to take a tour of both the hospital and the birthing center and see which felt like the right fit.
The first field trip was to the hospital. We were in a tour group with about 20 other people. We were guided to the check-in area, shown the lobby where family would wait, and taken to the delivery room.
Oh the delivery room. It seemed pleasant enough when I first walked in then I began looking around. The bed was tiny and super uncomfortable looking, there were huge spotlights on the ceiling, monitors everywhere and the babies bed (plastic tub) was on the complete other side of the room. The nurse/tour guide said you would be able to walk around and take a shower but when it was time to deliver the baby you MUST deliver it on the tiny uncomfortable bed. No ifs ands or buts.
We finished the tour by going by the nursery and then scoping out the food court.
While keeping an open  mind we decided to do tour number two, the birthing center. When we first walked in I was struck by how comfortable everything was. Over stuffed couch in the waiting room, calm music playing, and everyone had a smile on their face. The first stop our tour guide Megan took us was to the kitchen. Yes, a fully stocked kitchen. She explained that in a hospital they don't allow you eat or drink during labor. Even if your labor is 20 hours long. Yikes! The next stop was a visit to the "birthing rooms". The first room we entered was spacious with a huge bed. There were chairs and a nice large jacuzzi style tub right in the room. The bathroom was also spacious with a huge shower. Now this was a room that I could have a baby in.
My debate was that I had always intended on getting an epidural. If there was an option to allow me to feel no pain, bring it on! But birthing centers are all natural. No epidural.

This is where having a husband who loves to research comes in handy. With a little research about hospital births we came to discover that it's not always as simple as checking in, getting an epidural and having a baby. It can sometimes be much more complicated. With getting an epidural it does numb you to where you can't feel anything but that also slows the birth down which can lead to having to get a Pitocin injection to speed the delivery up. If this fails and the delivery isn't happening as quickly as the doctors would like, you get a c-section or your baby is vacuumed out or delivered with forceps. All of those things freak me out, especially the c-section. I really really don't want to be sliced open.
If having a birth at a birthing center, you can move around as much as you like. You can have your baby on the floor, in the shower, in the tub, and yes, even on the bed if you so choose. You can eat food at any time. You can blare music during if that's what you want. I was kind of liking all of these choices. And if anything were to go wrong, there are two hospitals within a mile of the center.
My mind had been made up. The Austin Area Birthing Center won my vote. It also doesn't hurt that it is about $3000-$4000 less than a hospital birth.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful choice! I am proud of you for taking charge of your birth and knowing what you want.

    ReplyDelete