Saturday, March 31, 2012

Get Ready Earth, I'm Coming! Weeks 37-38

Last week I started having much stronger Braxton Hicks contractions. (side note: for those who don't know what these are they are considered "practice contractions" or "false contractions") It dawned on me, he could come at any minute now! It was a really overwhelming feeling that this was actually happening! Then...nothing happened. The contractions stopped and I realized I had to get myself really mentally prepared for this!
I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, dummy, you've had 9 months to do that! I thought that I was mentally ready until the actual symptoms of labor began to happen. Skip forward to a week later at present time. The contractions haven't stopped, the morning sickness hasn't stopped, the limbs numbing haven't stopped, my hips hurt, It takes me several minutes to do simple tasks like get out of bed or get up from the couch. I AM READY!! I am mentally ready, physically ready and now, thanks to a week of final preparation, I am baby ready!

I have my birthing bag packed with receiving blankets and tiny hats, I have the nursery ready and almost complete (with the exceptions of just a few more alphabet letters) *Pictures posted below*, I have cleaned the house top to bottom, I hand-washed the car and vacuumed it out so our little man wouldn't be insulted by all that Nico hair, I made a birthing music mix and I stocked the house with labor foods like Gatorade and frozen peaches (my favorite).

Last week the day after I started having contractions the midwife checked my baby making bits to see my progress. I was pretty nervous because of the last examination. She was even a little rougher which made me even more nervous but all went well. She told me that I was still 1cm dilated and that I had gone from 30% effacement to 80% effacement (side note: for those of you who don't know what that is it means my cervix or "baby exit" is getting softer and easier for him to come out). I decided not to get checked at this weeks visit. I wasn't as comfortable with this midwife and Mike wasn't with me which is always a sign that something bad will inevitably happen. It's interesting on that note. I'm discovering that if Mike is not at the appointment with me my blood pressure is higher than when he is there. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or if he really does calm me. I am going with the fact that he calms me. Which is perfect for someone who is going to be my labor coach.

Also on the big news front, we have FINALLY decided on a name!
Liam Kilpatrick
It's a name we've liked from the beginning but have avoided because it's fairly popular right now. Mike and I were driving one day and I was thinking about the name Liam and he said out loud "you know, I still like the name Liam" I took it as a sign, that and it has been the only name so far that just feels right. Now all we have to do is come up with a middle name! Zeus? Thunder? Man Hammer?

I am hoping beyond all hopes that this is my last pregnancy picture to post and that the next blog will be me actually holding my son. If not though, you can bet it will be a really sour face picture.


On a fun note, I am posting a picture of my Mom the day she went into labor with me. She looks like how I did 3 months ago! Needless to say, our pregnancies have not been the same. She is so cute!



The Nursery!



 The infamous Alphabet Wall! 

*Beka and Rooney, you may notice that your cookie shaped "C" is not on the wall. I am sad to say that shortly after we received it, the dogs ate it, well attempted to eat it, it was pretty hard. They are such jerks sometimes!



2 comments:

  1. I want to punch your dogs in the face right now :( I was so happy with how it turned out. Oh well, such is life. So who made the one on the wall? Or did you make another cookie one?

    Your belly is so big and so cute! I think my belly was even bigger than your mom's when she had you :) So fun and cute to see the comparison.

    I love the name Liam! Congratulations on deciding a name, and such a great one at that. Your alphabet wall looks amazing, just so you know.

    And yes, it definitely means that Mike calms you, and that's a good thing. He'll be a fanTASTIC birth partner, just like Nathan was

    I love you and if you have any questions or need any advice or just want to vent about being pregnant, PLEASE call me, I would love that. I love you tons and send good birth energy your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and that last comment was Beka, not Nathan. Whoops. Nathan totally laughed out loud though reading about the dogs

    ReplyDelete